Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Trees......

This months Calendar Girls picture was beautiful silver birch trees chosen by Susan.

I love trees, want to be buried under one, but silver birch are a particular favourite. They have such a delicacy to them and there bark is wonderful. My first though was to make my card look like a piece of bark. Foolish mortal, what made me think I could better something Mother Nature had perfected? So into the bin went the pieces,though I must say I might give it another try sometime but for now this is what I have sent off to Doreen.

I coloured the background of Dupion with Inktense (watercolour) pencils (something I have learned from my friend Marien), I shedded more Dupion for the tree trunks and then worked a bit further with the pencils. I added a frame just for a change.
The calendar actually reminded me of a photograph I took on Dartford Heath some years ago

I remember I waited ages for the man to walk far enough away.

4 comments:

Clare Wassermann said...

That is a beautiful photo. It's like an oil painting by an old master!

Val said...

Your card turned out well Pat - love the idea of using dupion to depict the tree trunks. Your photo is absolutely stunning!

Anonymous said...

lucky Doreen! this is really very nice. I like the idea of colouring the silk with inktense pencils. i have taken lots of photos of bark, thinking i would be ale to 'recreate' it. HA! at least you got further than me :)

Helen said...

What a great photograph! Like Clare says, it is like an oil painting. Very lovely.