Thursday, February 07, 2008

So much going on...

did I say, already, that someone asked me if it was difficult to fill you days when you retire???

I said there were two things for the TIF memories that I was going to work on. The first one is the Liberty Bodice, this image is from the V&A Museum of Childhood.
This unlovely garment was invented to make sure your wool vest itched to it's maximum potential. Well no, it just seemed like that, it was designed to keep you warm, the thing I remember most about it is the rubber buttons which started to crumble as they perished. This is a bit of a cheat as it is actually made from bits of the January piece and is therefore in January's colours. I couldn't find rubber buttons in my stash but these I thought filled the bill,the felt backing represent the itchy vest and the lace represents my remembered longing to have a dress like the Cinderella in my Ladybird book.

And then there were the navy blue gym bloomers with the pocket for your handky, but that's for another day..

5 comments:

Barbara Hagerty said...

This is so lovely and pretty! And I love that you are re-cycling parts of your January piece! I think it's great when we borrow from our own work! I do this too, every once in a while!!

Unknown said...

Your liberty bodice certainly brought back memories. I love your interpretation for TIF

sharon young said...

I love this piece, Pat , I think it's the combination of beautiful stitching with frayed and used fabrics, it's like a sad momento, yet so romantic, Miss Haversham springs to mind!
Thank you very much for your suggestions for Ben's book, that will be such a help.

Julie said...

You've brought a smile to my face Pat with memories of the liberty bodice. I wonder if Mum's still got mine in the back of a drawer anywhere? Oh, and those awful gym bloomers with the pocket, and shiny material. those were the days! Thank you for your comment on my Glorious Sunday. another lovely day in the UK today too!

Dianne said...

Pat,this is so pretty! Love how you've pieced the different fibres.