Monday, April 11, 2011

A small thing.....

but my own. Another unseasonably warm sunny day today, the last for a while we are told so i made the most of it. A couple of weeks ago at EG  we have an interesting and amusing talk from Helen Deighan, she spoke about dyeing, making coiled pots and making braids.  So armed with her book and some of her special "washing line" I sat in the sun and made a small pot.
I was fascinated how you can alter the shape just in the way you place the coils, using the same stitch all the while.It is only about 5 inchs across.
I found myself wondering about those first women made such things.  Perhaps they idly twiddled grasses in there fingers or twisted plaited grass. Who know but I hope they enjoyed it as much as I did.  Here is is, serving the purpose for which it was made, to hold my thread bundle.

2 comments:

deanna7trees said...

love your coiled pot. this has been on my to do list for awhile. a great way to use scraps of cloth.

Purple Missus said...

Like deanna7trees, this has been on my roundtuit list for ages - have also got the book and the rope, one day...
See you Saturday. :))