Friday, October 01, 2010

When you least expect it.....

stuff happens.  Today I went to help  steward  The exhibition that the EG South East Area are mounting at Hall Place, Bexley, Kent. Weather wise a totally dismal day.


Whoops, I was interrupted and posted the above instead of saving it!!!!!


Yesterday was not a good day, after I left the exhibition I went to do my weekly shop and the clutch on my car snapped.  That will curtail my shopping at the Knit and Stitch this week.


Apart from the exhibition I was going to tell you about my visit to the British Museum this week.  I haven't been able to follow it on the radio but I have been fascinated by the idea of the BBC series A History of the World in 100 objects from the British Museum. Armed with my booklet and map I set off to find these treasures.  Here is the oldest object in the Museum

A chopping tool.  Nearby there was a lovely lady with a similar tool and you could actually hold it.  What an amazing sensation, to hold something that had been made and used nearly 2 million years ago.  It fitted the hand perfectly, I wanted to keep it but the lady said no.
This is a very poor photograph of textile fragments from Peru, dated about 300BC. Each one is only about 3 inches square

You can examine them closely here 
Again a not very good photograph of a double headed snake from Mexico, covered in a mosiac of tiny chips of turquoise.

again a better picture here..

I only managed about a quarter of the objects in my four hour visit.  Mainly due to th fact that I kept being side tracked by other wonderful objects.



 This beautiful gallery, The Age of Enlightenment, would take a day on it's own.





Great day, can't wait to go back and do some more. Here's a bit of ancient texture for you.

3 comments:

Purple Missus said...

I have been following this series. (Always listen to R4, give me the Archers over Eastenders any day. :))
You can catch up with some of the episodes on BBCiplayer.
Never thought of visiting the BM - think I might do that now.
I feel sure your purchases at AP will not suffer that much, regardless of the clutch repairs. *LOL*

Tony Morris said...

A great series - it is what makes the BBC a unique broadcaster, I can't imagine a commercial station sustaining such an interesting series.

Jackie said...

I have also been listening to it but the music!!! I HATE IT!!!!
Anyway its nice to visit via your blog.