When I was wondering how to proceed, Jude gave me the advice to "let it do", such advice is precious and I tried to follow it. I outlined the the main areas of colour and then I started to fill them in just as I would when doodling. As I worked I realised that there were even more subtle changes of colour so then became a little area too. I tried to use a different stitch for each area just as I would make different marks.
The colours are still not quite right, I've tried indoors and out. There is much more contrast between the purples and green. For the moment I have turned it into a bag which I will use for the EG South East Area Day Tote challenge, I have made it so that it can be converted into a cushion later on. It has taken me two months and I have to say I enjoyed every minute. I would like to try it again sometime, either with stronger colours or maybe in monochrome.
When I was chosing the material for the backing the salesgirl in John Lewis said "Well, the embroidery's quite RAW!". I smiled sweetly and said "I think you mean FREE!". Everyone's a critic!!!