Monday, May 06, 2013

Virginia....

The Big Road Trip moves on. We visited this state on our first trip to America and it hold some of the happiest memories.  Remember this?

Well we found they really are blue.
Our destination for the evening was supposed to be the town of Roanoke but we stopped in for a coffee, at the Peaks of Otter Lodge , we oouldn't resist the ice cream and ended up staying the night We had a wonderful meal and stopped up late talking to some of the people who lived locally but came up to the hills for the weekend.
On the way down, and quite be accident we came across the Pat Buckley Moss Museum, I  fell in love with her people and her snowy landscapes.
 
We were allowed to take photographs in the gallery but this may not be the case, I will remove if it breaches copyright. You can see many other paintings here (Google Images)
I bought an embroidery kit and this has hung in my living room ever since.
We returned to Virginia on the last full day of our trip and spent it in  Colonial Williamsburg. What a fascinating day that was, a real step back in time, we watched a house being built with only the tools that would have been available in the 18th century and of course we voted againt Independance.  My most abiding memory is the sound of a pipe and drum band fading away into the evening, a poignant ending to what had been a wonderful trip. It still brings a tear.
Thank you Marit for evoking some really wonderful memories.  Here is something I made a while back but I realise now where I, probably,  found the inspiration.



6 comments:

Clare Wassermann said...

Looks lovely - and yes I remember every word f the Laurel and Hardy clip - what does that say about my youth? I'm only 48!!

Marit said...

Laurell and Hardy, how fun! You find the loveliest additions to the BIG Road trip posts!! I am in ooh and aah over your painting, the blue and 'misty feel' it has is fantastic!

Unknown said...

Hi Pat, thanks for visiting my blog and for your lovely comment on my atom page. About printing on tissuepaper; I do it like this and that works wonderfully. I print out the image I want to have on regular printer paper (I always use waste paper that has already been printed on and take the backside of it). Then I cut out a piece of tissuepaper to size and use normal tape and tape it down over the printed image, all the way around on all 4 sides. Then I stick the paper back into the printer and press print again. Works like a charm. The tissue paper does slightly stick to the printer paper, but you can easily pull it off. Using a matt gel medium makes the tissue paper sink into the page and it makes the image look as if it were printed straight onto your bookpage. Hope this helps! Hugs Frea

Unknown said...

P.S. Do you know you have word verification on? It's very time consuming and sometimes so hard to read that it take 2 to 3 times to get it right. You can easily turn it off on your tools page. Hugs Frea

Harley - PhD by Publications said...

I really appreciate your informative blog posts. Thank a lot for sharing your wonderful travel experience. I love the handcrafted painting! So where are you headed now? I’m excited to hear and see more of your trip escapades. Take care and have a happy trip! Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

~*~Patty S said...

Hello from Marit's Big Road Trip ... lovely to see your take on VA ... I live just outside of Washington DC in Northern VA

Reading your post makes me want to return to Williamsburg again and the Blue Ridge Mtns really are so beautiful.

Husband and I are planning a trip to the UK next month and can't wait!
oxo